Information to international students working at Kalmar nation

Tax number

If you have worked at Kalmar nation you need a tax number in order to get paid. You can apply for a tax number at Skatteverket (the tax agency). They are located on Kungsängsgatan 43. To get there, follow the street leeding south from Stora torget until you get to a building with the street going straight through it. The tax agency is located in that building. Here is a handy map to show you where it is.

New rules regarding non-EU citizens

We will need to receive a copy of a document or card evidencing permission to work in Sweden, e.g. one of the following:

  • Residence permit to attend a college or university
  • EU/EES/Switzerland-citizenship (will copy or at least look at an ID or passport from these countries)
  • Special residence permit to work as a visiting researcher
  • Permanent residence permit
  • AT-UND on the LMA-card for asylum seekers (an exemption from the obligation to hold a work permit; contact the Migration Board for this)

Salary and tax

When you work here at the nation, your salary will be transferred to your bank account friday the week after you have been working. The transfer will be labeled ”Lön”.

Swedish law requires Kalmar nation to make tax reduction on your salary. The tax is usually between 25 and 30%. However, if you meet certain conditions, you don’t have to pay taxes. The conditions are:

  • You mustn’t make more than 18782 SEK during the current calendar year (i.e. from January to December of a whole year)
  • You must be a student
  • You must be living in Sweden for all of the current calendar year
  • The 5th digit in your tax number must be 0, 1, 2 or 3 (not 6, 7, 8 or 9).

If you meet these conditions you can fill out a form where you certify that you meet said requirements. You can get the form from the person in charge in the kitchen or the bar and hand it over to them. Please note that tax reductions made prior to when you handed in the form to the nation can not be paid back by Kalmar nation. Instead, you will get a refund from Skatteverket (the Tax agency) the following year.

If you don’t meet the conditions above you have to get a special decision from the Tax agency stating that you don’t have to pay tax. You must hand over that form to 2Q.

If you don’t have a swedish bank account

If you don’t have a swedish bank account you can get paid in cash by 2Q. 2Q’s office hours are Tuesday and Friday 12-13 and Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 16-18.


If you have any questions regarding salary, please send an e-mail to

Den här sidan uppdaterades senast 17 november 2017 kl. 17:52.